Saturday, April 20, 2013

Kites and Toddlers

I love Saturdays! Jacob's off work so I can sleep in (or at least pretend to sleep in), get a break from the kids, and Jacob always helps me get the house clean. To top it all off we usually get to do something fun as a family. Its my favorite day.
Well, Today was pretty great as far as Saturday's go. Jacob tried to take Claire in the morning, but that little mommy's girl kept crawling over to our bedroom door yelling "mom." I tried to sleep anyways, but finally accepted I wasn't going to get more sleep. It was really sweet though, because when I came out Claire just sat in my lap cuddling and when Jonathan woke-up, he wanted to cuddle with me too while Jacob did cleaned up the kitchen and front room for me. I felt very loved.
Later, Jonathan was being an amazing big brother and playing nicely and singing  to his sister. Unfortunately, it ended with him showing his sister how to draw fish and sharks on our coach! We were not pleased with this development, but luckily it wasn't permanent marker and we were able to wash the cover and get the drawings out. Actually, I kinda felt sad about getting rid of his drawings because it was one of the best fish he's ever drawn and he drew it supper fast too.
I did, however, take a picture so everyone could see how good it was.
Later, we went on a family bike ride, which Claire sadly did not like :-/ I think her brother and being tired may have contributed to her not liking it though.
Then we had a picnic play-date with some new friends at the kite park. It was so fun. Jonathan also charmed some older girls who decided to  take him under there wing.  I also made this awesome dessert Jacob calls "Eclair Casserole" and I call "Mer de' Claire." it's just lady finger cookies layered with pastry cream and chocolate. I think  it is my new favorite.
Anyways, these new family friends are really amazing and I learned something about being Christlike from spending time with them today which is: It's not enough to just be nice to people. If you really want to love others you need to be interested and actively aware of what that person's goals or values are. For example, I casually mentioned to her the first time I saw her that I wanted to learn to be more fashionable. Ever since, she has made a point to complement me on something I tried fashion-wise every time she has seen me. That is what the savior was like, he identified what was important to those he interacted with and cared about it with them. Now, I just need to learn to open my heart to others a bit more then I thought I had too.
Now to end this blog here's a picture of what Claire likes to do before she sleeps,

sit with her dad and suck her toes!

No comments:

Post a Comment